Vikings not eyeing larger role for Irv Smith Jr. in 2021 season
Minnesota Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. is not expected to see an expanded role in the 2021 season, according to head coach Mike Zimmer.
Asked about Smith this week, Zimmer said "I don't think it's any bigger role for him whatsoever", adding "I think it's a bigger role for Tyler Conklin. He's kind of emerged as a guy that's moving upward and with those two guys, we have a lot of weapons there". In the 2020-21 season, Smith caught 30 of 43 targets for 365 yards and 5 touchdowns.
numberFire's models project Smith for 57.6 receptions on 89.5 targets for 603.6 yards and 5.62 touchdowns in the 2021 season. He is the TE11 in our preseason projections.
- Belichick: New England's Damien Harris 'can compete for the top role now' July 29th, 2021
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott (shoulder) diagnosed with muscle strain, exits practice early on Wednesday July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Kenyan Drake placed on non-football injury list July 28th, 2021
- Jets' Chris Herndon working with second string July 28th, 2021
- Michael Carter opens camp with Jets' first team July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Henry Ruggs focusing on playing stronger July 28th, 2021
- Vikings not eyeing larger role for Irv Smith Jr. in 2021 season June 13th, 2021
- Alexander Mattison (concussion) not listed on Minnesota's Week 17 injury report January 1st, 2021
- Minnesota's Alexander Mattison (concussion) participates in Wednesday's practice December 30th, 2020
- Dalvin Cook away from Vikings for family emergency, out Week 17 December 30th, 2020
- Vikings' Kyle Rudolph (foot) placed on injured reserve December 29th, 2020
- Vikings' Alexander Mattison (concussion) ruled out for Friday's matchup against New Orleans December 24th, 2020