Saints re-sign Jameis Winston to one-year contract
The New Orleans Saints have re-signed quarterback Jameis Winston to a one-year contract worth up to $12 million.
Winston's future in New Orleans seemed dubious after the Saints restructured/extended Taysom Hill earlier in the week, but the team's Week 1 starter at the position now seems truly up in the air. Coach Sean Payton has claimed that he wants a true competition for the starting job this offseason, and Winston's willingness to re-sign all but guarantees one.
Winston played definitively behind Hill during the 2020 season, with Hill starting in each game that Drew Brees missed while the future Hall of Famer nursed a brutal ribs injury. That said, Winston has a more proven track record as a passer than Hill and could absolutely push for the starting job in 2021.
- Browns' Kareem Hunt feels '100 percent' healthy June 29th, 2022
- Terry McLaurin signs three-year $71 million contract extension with Washington June 29th, 2022
- Giants' Kadarius Toney (knee) a surprise PUP-list candidate June 27th, 2022
- Chargers' Austin Ekeler excited for increased backfield competition June 27th, 2022
- Falcons were blown away by Drake London's physicality on college tape June 27th, 2022
- Cardinals' Eno Benjamin "the frontrunner" to back up James Conner June 27th, 2022
- Saints' Alvin Kamara anticipating 6-game suspension June 24th, 2022
- Jameis Winston (knee) active at Saints OTAs May 26th, 2022
- Saints' Michael Thomas still has "a few hurdles" to climb in return from ankle injury May 6th, 2022
- Saints trade up, select Chris Olave eleventh overall April 28th, 2022
- Saints re-sign receiver Tre'Quan Smith March 28th, 2022
- Saints and quarterback Jameis Winston agree to two-year contract March 21st, 2022