Rams trade Jared Goff, picks, to Lions for Matthew Stafford
The Los Angeles Rams will trade quarterback Jared Goff, in addition to two future first-round picks and a future third-round pick, to the Detroit Lions in return for quarterback Matthew Stafford.
The Rams are paying a small fortune to upgrade at the quarterback position and are now without first round picks for the next two seasons, but Goff's pricey contract certainly factored into the final agreement between the Rams and the Lions. The Rams organization clearly believes that Stafford is the final piece necessary to get them back to the Super Bowl, while the Lions will get a young quarterback and plenty of high-value draft picks to assist with their rebuild.
Goff will be walking into a situation full of uncertainty in Detroit. Wide receivers Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr., and Danny Amendola will be entering free agency this offseason, leaving essentially just tight end T.J. Hockenson and 2020 fifth-round pick Quintez Cephus as the team's only returning pass catchers from last season. For a quarterback whose prior success was frequently attributed to his offensive play-caller, the 2021 season is shaping up to be Goff's most difficult season since his disastrous rookie year.
- Anderson: Giants reportedly sign Kenny Golladay to 4-year, $40 million guaranteed contract March 20th, 2021
- Texans reportedly agree to 1-year contract with Phillip Lindsay March 20th, 2021
- Steelers reportedly resign JuJu Smith-Schuster to 1-year, $8 million deal March 19th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign Will Fuller to 1-year contract March 18th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign running back Malcolm Brown March 16th, 2021
- Rams trade Jared Goff, picks, to Lions for Matthew Stafford January 31st, 2021
- Lions trade Matthew Stafford to Rams for Jared Goff January 31st, 2021
- Rodrigue: Rams 'unlikely to bring back' Malcolm Brown January 27th, 2021
- Rams' Cooper Kupp (knee) ruled out for Saturday's playoff matchup against Packers January 16th, 2021
- Jared Goff (thumb) not listed on Rams' Divisional playoff injury report January 14th, 2021
- Rams' John Wolford (neck) ruled out for Saturday's playoff matchup against Green Bay January 14th, 2021