Falcons acknowledge Todd Gurley no longer lead back
Atlanta Falcons running back Todd Gurley's role has changed, interim head coach Raheem Morris acknowledged Monday.
Morris also said that Ito Smith is "the lead runner right now." Gurley rushed once for negative-1 yards in the Falcons' Week 15 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has 23 carries for 60 yards over the last four games while Smith has 37 carries for 167 yards and a touchdown. Morris' comments make it clear that Gurley is no more than the second option in the Falcons' backfield as they shift focus toward a Week 16 matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Gurley has earned the second-worst rushing grade (57.4) from Pro Football Focus this season among backs with at least 100 carries. The Chiefs are allowing the 10th-most FanDuel points per game to the running back position this season.
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Eagles sending Carson Wentz to Colts in exchange for pair of picks February 18th, 2021
- J.J. Watt granted release from Texans February 12th, 2021
- Chiefs' Sammy Watkins (calf) active for Super Bowl clash with Tampa Bay February 7th, 2021
- Cameron Brate (back) cleared to play in Super Bowl for Buccaneers February 7th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Antonio Brown (knee) active for Super Bowl Sunday February 7th, 2021
- Atlanta's Julio Jones (hamstring) ruled out for Week 17's game against Tampa Bay January 1st, 2021
- Atlanta's Hayden Hurst records 5 receptions for 47 yards and 1 touchdown in Week 16 December 28th, 2020
- Atlanta's Julio Jones (hamstring) ruled out for Week 16's game against Kansas City December 25th, 2020
- Falcons' Julio Jones (hamstring) works out on side Wednesday December 23rd, 2020
- Falcons acknowledge Todd Gurley no longer lead back December 21st, 2020
- Ito Smith anointed Falcons' lead runner December 21st, 2020