Jaguars beat expects Jake Luton to start Week 9
Jacksonville Jaguars sixth-round rookie quarterback Jake Luton is expected to start Week 9 against the Houston Texans, per Jaguars reporter John Shipley.
Gardner Minshew is reportedly dealing with multiple fractures and a strained ligament in this right thumb. Mike Glennon has been the QB2 over the first half of the season, but Shipley believes the Jaguars would rather see what the rookie has to offer if Minshew is ruled out. Luton was considered a conservative thrower in college and never averaged more than 7.6 yards per attempt. However, he was one of only three FBS quarterbacks with 21-plus touchdown passes and 3 or fewer interceptions in 2019.
Luton completed just 35.8 percent of his passes under pressure in three years at Oregon State, via Pro Football Focus. Minshew ranks 25th out of 32 quarterbacks with at least 100 dropbacks in Passing Net Expected Points per dropback this season.
- Tampa Bay's Antonio Brown (knee) undergoing MRI on Monday January 18th, 2021
- Taysom Hill (knee) ruled out for Sunday's clash with Buccaneers January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Latavius Murray (quad) inactive for Divisional Round clash with Tampa Bay January 17th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Ronald Jones (quad, finger) active for Sunday's showdown with Saints January 17th, 2021
- Update: Kansas City's Patrick Mahomes (concussion) will not return against Browns January 17th, 2021
- Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes (head/neck) headed to the locker room, Chad Henne now under center January 17th, 2021
- Jacksonville names Urban Meyer as head coach January 14th, 2021
- Jaguars' D.J. Chark (shin) ruled out for Week 17's contest against Colts January 1st, 2021
- Jacksonville's D.J. Chark (shin) remains out on Thursday December 31st, 2020
- Jaguars' D.J. Chark (shin) misses practice Wednesday, uncertain for season finale December 30th, 2020
- Mike Glennon will finish out Jaguars' season under center December 30th, 2020
- James Robinson (ankle) shut down for Jaguars' finale December 30th, 2020