Rex Burkhead, Patriots reportedly restructure
New England Patriots running back Rex Burkhead reworked the final year of his contract, reports Field Yates of ESPN.
Burkhead gets a $550,000 signing bonus, but his base salary drops from $2.5 million to $1.05 million and his available roster bonuses fall from $500,000 to $400,000. The move creates a little under $1 million in cap space for the Patriots. Burkhead is unlikely to see consistent snaps this season unless Sony Michel or James White suffer an injury. He logged double-digit touches in two of the first three games last season but never hit the mark again the rest of the way. Burkhead was efficient when given the opportunity, with 4.6 yards per carry and a career-high 10.3 yards per catch. The latter ranked second-most in the league among running backs with at least 25 receptions. Burkhead turned 30 last week.
numberFire's models project Burkhead for 306.2 yards from scrimmage and 2.5 touchdowns on 61.1 touches (10.3 receptions) this season. He's the RB66 in our preseason fantasy rankings.
- Ronald Jones the 'main guy' in Tampa Bay August 9th, 2020
- Tampa Bay's Ke'Shawn Vaughn removed from reserve/COVID-19 list August 9th, 2020
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (hip) activated from active/PUP list August 8th, 2020
- Lions' T.J. Hockenson removed from reserve/COVID-19 list August 8th, 2020
- Washington releases Derrius Guice after domestic-violence incident August 7th, 2020
- Eagles re-sign defensive end Vinny Curry to one-year deal August 7th, 2020
- Patriots' Mohamed Sanu (ankle) activated off PUP August 4th, 2020
- Pats place Mohamed Sanu (ankle) on active/PUP list August 3rd, 2020
- Pats place Sony Michel (foot) on active/PUP list August 3rd, 2020
- Patriots' Cam Newton will have to win starting QB job July 31st, 2020
- Patrick Chung to be 6th Patriots' opt-out July 28th, 2020
- Patriots' Dont'a Hightower reportedly opting out of 2020 July 28th, 2020