49ers' Deebo Samuel reportedly dealing with 'classic' Jones fracture
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel is dealing with a "classic" Jones fracture, according to Matt Barrows of The Athletic.
Barrows says typical recovery is 10-12 weeks if Samuel avoids any complications, but that the 49ers may take a little longer in an effort to avoid re-injury. The team may be more inclined to err on the side of caution after Trent Taylor missed the entire 2019 season with the same injury. Samuel suffered the injury on June 16. First-rounder Brandon Aiyuk likely stands to gain the most if Samuel isn't available at the start of the season. Kendrick Bourne should also benefit and local beat writers have been high on Taylor this offseason. The run-first 49ers also figure to rely more on their ground game and increase George Kittle's workload if Samuel misses time. Samuel saw an 18.1 percent target share as a rookie. He added the fifth-most yards after catch (473) among all wideouts last year and ranked 10th in yards per target (9.9) out of 79 receivers with at least 50 targets.
numberFire's models currently expect him to average 6.9 targets, 4.5 catches, and 59.1 yards with 3.6 touchdowns this season after missing the first six games.
- Eagles eager to let Miles Sanders loose August 3rd, 2020
- Jets release offensive guard Brian Winters on Sunday August 2nd, 2020
- Lions' Geronimo Allison opts out of 2020 season August 2nd, 2020
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (hip) lands on active/PUP list August 2nd, 2020
- Browns' David Njoku commits to staying in Cleveland August 1st, 2020
- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford placed on COVID-19 list August 1st, 2020
- 49ers expect George Kittle to report to training camp on time July 28th, 2020
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel (foot) "might miss some games" to start the season July 28th, 2020
- 49ers' Richie James lands on reserve/COVID-19 list July 27th, 2020
- 49ers restructure Raheem Mostert's contract July 27th, 2020
- 49ers Jerick McKinnon (knee) responding well to offseason work July 25th, 2020
- Raheem Mostert, 49ers reportedly trying to resolve differences July 20th, 2020