A.J. Johnson to remain a 'mainstay' on early downs for Broncos
Denver Broncos inside linebacker A.J. Johnson expects to remain a mainstay on early downs in 2020, and to continue to develop in coverage.
Johnson was a major contributor to the Broncos' defensive turnaround partway through the 2019 season. Following his insertion to the starting lineup, the team went 7-5 for the remainder of the season. He was a major player in stopping the run, and amassed 93 tackles in 12 games, as well as 5 tackles for a loss.
As Johnson noted in the interview, he did struggle in pass coverage, allowing an 81% completion rate to opposing pass catchers and 236 yards. The Broncos finished the season just about at league average when it came to defending against the pass, and will be aiming to return their once-dominant ways on defense.
- Cam Newton arrives in New England to take physical July 4th, 2020
- Bills' Gabriel Davis 'could be a plug-and-play weapon' this season July 4th, 2020
- Buffalo's Zack Moss 'brings a different dimension' to backfield, expected to complement Devin Singletary July 4th, 2020
- NFL Player Association Board reportedly recommends skipping 2020 preseason July 4th, 2020
- Cowboys "might have some interest" in David Njoku July 3rd, 2020
- Browns tight end David Njoku has requested to be traded July 3rd, 2020
- A.J. Johnson to remain a 'mainstay' on early downs for Broncos June 29th, 2020
- Broncos' Phillip Lindsay put on a few pounds June 23rd, 2020
- Broncos' Kareem Jackson tests positive for COVID-19 June 17th, 2020
- Broncos Beat: Royce Freeman competing for spot in backfield June 17th, 2020
- Broncos cornerback Bryce Callahan 'ready to go' June 14th, 2020
- Broncos' Bradley Chubb 'full speed and ready to go' June 14th, 2020