A.J. Johnson to remain a 'mainstay' on early downs for Broncos
Denver Broncos inside linebacker A.J. Johnson expects to remain a mainstay on early downs in 2020, and to continue to develop in coverage.
Johnson was a major contributor to the Broncos' defensive turnaround partway through the 2019 season. Following his insertion to the starting lineup, the team went 7-5 for the remainder of the season. He was a major player in stopping the run, and amassed 93 tackles in 12 games, as well as 5 tackles for a loss.
As Johnson noted in the interview, he did struggle in pass coverage, allowing an 81% completion rate to opposing pass catchers and 236 yards. The Broncos finished the season just about at league average when it came to defending against the pass, and will be aiming to return their once-dominant ways on defense.
- Browns' Olivier Vernon reworks final year July 7th, 2020
- Rex Burkhead, Patriots reportedly restructure July 7th, 2020
- Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes reportedly guaranteed $477 million July 7th, 2020
- Jets' Gase reportedly wanted Marcus Maye dealt July 6th, 2020
- David Njoku reportedly 'big part' of Browns July 6th, 2020
- Patrick Mahomes signs 10-year, $450 million extension with Chiefs July 6th, 2020
- A.J. Johnson to remain a 'mainstay' on early downs for Broncos June 29th, 2020
- Broncos' Phillip Lindsay put on a few pounds June 23rd, 2020
- Broncos' Kareem Jackson tests positive for COVID-19 June 17th, 2020
- Broncos Beat: Royce Freeman competing for spot in backfield June 17th, 2020
- Broncos cornerback Bryce Callahan 'ready to go' June 14th, 2020
- Broncos' Bradley Chubb 'full speed and ready to go' June 14th, 2020