49ers' Deebo Samuel reportedly breaks foot
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel suffered a broken foot during a workout with teammates Tuesday and will be sidelined 3-4 months, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Samuel is undergoing surgery Thursday to repair what Rapoport says is a Jones fracture. That timeline means Samuel will miss the beginning of the season if the schedule remains as is. There's a decent chance he opens the year on the reserve/PUP list, which would cost him the first six games. Samuel emerged as the 49ers' number-one wide receiver as a rookie, so this creates opportunities for the entire depth chart. First-round pick Brandon Aiyuk figures to benefit the most, followed by Kendrick Bourne and 2019 third-rounder Jalen Hurd. The injury may also open up snaps for Trent Taylor and/or Richie James. Dante Pettis could even come back from the fantasy graveyard. Samuel averaged 5.4 targets and nearly a rush attempt per game as a rookie. He added the fifth-most yards after catch (473) among all wideouts last year and ranked 10th in yards per target (9.9) out of 79 receivers with at least 50 targets.
Prior to this report, Samuel was the WR28 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our 16-game models project him for 92.7 targets, 60.5 receptions, 809.0 yards, and 5.1 touchdowns. He's also expected to add another 115.9 rushing yards and 1.2 scores.
- Drew Brees throws for 288 yards, 3 touchdowns in New Orleans' Week 3 defeat to Packers September 28th, 2020
- Aaron Rodgers efficient in Packers' Week 3 win over New Orleans September 28th, 2020
- Joe Mixon manages 72 yards as Bengals tie Eagles September 28th, 2020
- Jets' Sam Darnold throws 3 interceptions in Week 3's blowout loss to Indianapolis September 28th, 2020
- Todd Gurley has best game in Falcons' uniform against Bears September 28th, 2020
- Arizona's Kyler Murray accounts for 3 touchdowns and 299 yards in Week 3's defeat to Lions September 28th, 2020
- Jerick McKinnon gains 77 yards, scores in 49ers' win September 28th, 2020
- Rapoport: 49ers' Deebo Samuel (foot) set to return in Week 5 vs Miami September 27th, 2020
- 49ers' JaMycal Hasty promoted to active roster September 26th, 2020
- 49ers' Raheem Mostert (knee) ruled out for Week 3 September 25th, 2020
- George Kittle (knee) officially ruled out again for 49ers in Week 3 September 25th, 2020
- George Kittle (knee) a Week 3 GTD for 49ers September 25th, 2020