Steelers' Eric Ebron, Vance McDonald could have training camp battle
Pittsburgh Steelers tight ends Eric Ebron and Vance McDonald could be competing for the starting job in training camp, writes Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Ebron was added in free agency this offseason while McDonald has spent the past three years with the Steelers. It will be a battle of two veteran tight ends who are both coming off disappointing campaigns following career years. Ebron was limited to 11 games by an ankle sprain and McDonald was stuck in a terrible quarterback situation. The former was held to 3 touchdowns after totaling 14 touchdowns in 2018. Despite seeing a career-high 68.5 percent snap share, McDonald averaged just 19.5 yards on 3.9 targets a game. His 5.0 yards per target was the veteran's worst effort since his second year in the league. Ebron has the more impressive track record, as he has caught 47 or more passes in four of his last five seasons and found the end zone 28 times. Meanwhile, McDonald has cleared 40 receptions just once and totaled 15 touchdowns in that span. Assuming Ebron wins the gig, he will likely emerge as a go-to option for Ben Roethlisberger, targeted his tight ends 111 times of 675 attempts (17.6 percent) in 2018.
numberFire's models believe Ebron will beat out McDonald for the starting job, as he is the TE24 in our preseason fantasy rankings while McDonald is the TE42. Ebron is projected for 39.4 catches on 61.3 targets for 445.7 yards and 3.74 touchdowns.
- Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways March 1st, 2021
- J.J. Watt announces contract with Cardinals March 1st, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Eagles sending Carson Wentz to Colts in exchange for pair of picks February 18th, 2021
- J.J. Watt granted release from Texans February 12th, 2021
- Chiefs' Sammy Watkins (calf) active for Super Bowl clash with Tampa Bay February 7th, 2021
- Steelers activate Eric Ebron from COVID-19 list for Wild Card game January 8th, 2021
- Steelers suggest Josh Dobbs could be involved Sunday January 5th, 2021
- Steelers place Eric Ebron on reserve/COVID-19 list January 2nd, 2021
- Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (rest) officially ruled out for Week 17's game against Browns January 1st, 2021
- Mason Rudolph starting for Steelers in finale versus Browns December 29th, 2020
- Eric Ebron produces 47 yards and 1 score in Colts' Week 16 win over Pittsburgh December 28th, 2020