James Conner to resume Steelers' 'featured runner' role
Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner "is a featured guy and proven runner when healthy," head coach Mike Tomlin said.
“I’m a featured-runner type guy by mentality,” Tomlin replied when asked about his backfield plans for this season. "No question in today’s game, a featured runner needs to be supplemented and supplemented by guys who are capable of doing similar things in case he misses time...Usually when it’s going well, it’s because you have a lead dog out front, and that guy is the featured runner. James is a featured guy and proven runner when healthy. We’re excited about him getting back to health and displaying that in 2020." Tomlin added that Benny Snell is "capable of being a James-type of guy if James is unavailable." He also praised fourth-round rookie Anthony McFarland, but didn't mention Jaylen Samuels, Kerrith Whyte, or Trey Edmunds. Conner has missed nine games over the past two years, but it sounds like Tomlin is committed to feeding him the rock. His volume did dip from 20.8 touches per game in 2018 to 15.0 last year. That led to Conner's production falling from 113.1 to 71.5 yards per game while totaling 6 fewer touchdowns.
Conner averaged 12.9 FanDuel points per game last season, finishing as the RB18 among all backs to play at least half the season. His yards per touch fell from 5.4 in 2018 to 4.8 last season, ranking 36th among the 59 players with at least 6.25 touches per game. Conner also added the third-fewest Rushing Net Expected Points per play out of 45 backs with at least 100 carries.
- Anderson: Giants reportedly sign Kenny Golladay to 4-year, $40 million guaranteed contract March 20th, 2021
- Texans reportedly agree to 1-year contract with Phillip Lindsay March 20th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign Will Fuller to 1-year contract March 18th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign running back Malcolm Brown March 16th, 2021
- Jaguars reportedly sign Marvin Jones to 2-year, $9.2 million fully guaranteed deal March 16th, 2021
- Steelers reportedly resign JuJu Smith-Schuster to 1-year, $8 million deal March 19th, 2021
- Steelers activate Eric Ebron from COVID-19 list for Wild Card game January 8th, 2021
- Steelers suggest Josh Dobbs could be involved Sunday January 5th, 2021
- Steelers place Eric Ebron on reserve/COVID-19 list January 2nd, 2021
- Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (rest) officially ruled out for Week 17's game against Browns January 1st, 2021
- Mason Rudolph starting for Steelers in finale versus Browns December 29th, 2020