Washington's Antonio Gibson draws Christian McCaffrey comparison
Washington Redskins running back/wide receiver Antonio Gibson has "a skill set like Christian (McCaffrey)," head coach Ron Rivera said.
"He's a little bit bigger than Christian, but he's got a skill set like Christian," said Rivera, who coached McCaffrey on the Carolina Panthers for two seasons. "This is a very versatile, young football player that we really think is going to be a guy that can get on the field for us early and contribute." Gibson played mostly receiver at the University of Memphis, but he's expected to work out of the backfield -- as well as in the slot and out wide -- for a Washington offense with one of the worst skill-position groups in the league. He caught 38 passes for 735 yards and 8 touchdowns last season and added 33 carries for 369 yards and 4 touchdowns on the ground.
Gibson averaged a robust 15.5 yards per touch last year. He had 33 broken tackles on 71 touches and led all FBS skill players in yards after contact per attempt (8.0). Gibson also averaged an elite 28.0 yards on his 23 kickoff returns.
- Cam Newton only guaranteed $550K from Patriots July 2nd, 2020
- Kendrick Bourne extension discussed by 49ers July 2nd, 2020
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel reportedly dealing with 'classic' Jones fracture July 2nd, 2020
- Trent Taylor may wind up being 49ers' third receiver July 2nd, 2020
- 49ers' George Kittle reportedly could make $13 million annually July 2nd, 2020
- Jets "still talking" with free agent Demaryius Thomas July 1st, 2020
- Washington receiver Emanuel Hall tears achilles June 28th, 2020
- Terry McLaurin practicing with Washington teammates June 25th, 2020
- Washington's Adrian Peterson interested in 4 more seasons June 24th, 2020
- Redskins' Derrius Guice appears healthy in recent video June 14th, 2020
- Washington's Dwayne Haskins dropping weight June 11th, 2020
- Redskins quarterback Dwayne Haskins seen throwing with Steven Sims June 7th, 2020