Panthers part ways with Eric Reid, save $5.5 million
Defensive back Eric Reid has been released by the Carolina Panthers Wednesday afternoon ahead of the 4 p.m. opening of NFL free agency.
Reid is coming off a year in which his raw numbers pass the eye test. He started all 16 games, racked up a career-high 110 tackles and had 6 pass defenses - his most since 2015. But a deeper look at his numbers show he struggled mightily; Reid ranked last out of 65 safeties with at least 50% of snaps played in coverage grade according to Pro Football Focus with a mark of 36.1. Overall, he ranked as the 64th-best safety with a 46.6 total defense grade.
The Panthers are coming off a season in which they ranked 14th in PFF's coverage grade (76.1) and 14th in net yards per attempt allowed (6.2).
- Anderson: Giants reportedly sign Kenny Golladay to 4-year, $40 million guaranteed contract March 20th, 2021
- Texans reportedly agree to 1-year contract with Phillip Lindsay March 20th, 2021
- Steelers reportedly resign JuJu Smith-Schuster to 1-year, $8 million deal March 19th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign Will Fuller to 1-year contract March 18th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign running back Malcolm Brown March 16th, 2021
- Panthers' Christian McCaffrey not expecting offseason surgery January 4th, 2021
- Panthers' Teddy Bridgewater replaced by P.J. Walker in Week 17 January 3rd, 2021
- Carolina's Mike Davis (ankle) will not play in Week 17's matchup against Saints January 1st, 2021
- Carolina's Robby Anderson (calf) fully practices on Thursday December 31st, 2020
- Carolina's Robby Anderson (calf) DNP on Wednesday December 30th, 2020
- Mike Davis (ankle) out for Panthers versus Saints December 30th, 2020