11-seed Syracuse knocks off 3-seed Michigan State to advance to Sweet 16
The 11-seed Syracuse Orange advanced to the Sweet 16 with a 55-53 upset over the 3-seed Michigan State Spartans on Sunday afternoon.
Syracuse relied on their vaunted 2-3 zone to limit the Spartans to a 25.8 field goal percentage (8-for-37 from three) -- and just 5 points in the last 5:41 -- while advancing to the Sweet 16 as a double-digit seed for the second time in three seasons. Looking ahead, the Orange will square off with the Duke Blue Devils in a regional semifinal matchup next weekend.
Syracuse entered the tournament ranked 50th in numberFire's NCAAB Power Rankings.
- Virginia named 1st seed in South Region March 18th, 2019
- North Carolina claims top seed in Midwest region March 18th, 2019
- Gonzaga earns No. 1 seed in the West March 18th, 2019
- Duke earns top seed in the NCAA tournament March 18th, 2019
- Kansas punches ticket to Final Four with 85-81 victory over Duke March 25th, 2018
- Villanova advances to Final Four for second time in three seasons with victory over Texas Tech March 25th, 2018
- 11-seed Syracuse knocks off 3-seed Michigan State to advance to Sweet 16 March 18th, 2018
- Tyus Battle will return for his sophomore season at Syracuse March 23rd, 2017
- Syracuse's Tyler Lydon to enter the 2017 NBA Draft March 20th, 2017
- Tyler Lydon registers a double-double in Syracuse's loss to Louisville February 26th, 2017
- John Gillon nails game-winner for Syracuse on Wednesday February 23rd, 2017
- John Gillon explodes for 43 points in Syracuse's overtime win February 2nd, 2017