Cavaliers' J.R. Smith frustrated about losing starting spot
Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith said "absolutely" when asked if he was frustrated upon learning that Dwyane Wade would be the team's starting two-guard this season.
On Monday, coach Tyronn Lue confirmed that the newly-acquired Wade would start at shooting guard over Smith. It was a predictable move and Smith himself said he was "bracing" for it, but Smith still didn't like it. He said, "Was working hard all summer and then coming in and not even really having a chance to earn my spot, but it's alright. It is what it is." On the plus side, Smith said that he likes playing on the second unit, where he figures to be more of a playmaker than sharpshooter this season.
Our metrics like the move. In 2016-17, Wade's -0.7 nERD was far better than Smith's mark of -3.5. Going forward, though, we project Smith for 1,815 minutes, 644 points and 139 threes in his new role in Cleveland.
- Julius Randle posts a huge double-double Sunday in Lakers' win January 22nd, 2018
- Elfrid Payton stays hot with 22 points Sunday in Orlando's win over Celtics January 22nd, 2018
- Alex Caruso plays 31 minutes Sunday in Lakers' win over Knicks January 22nd, 2018
- Jordan Clarkson unloads a big double-double Sunday in Los Angeles January 22nd, 2018
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson helps Nets knock off Pistons with 21 points Sunday January 22nd, 2018
- Thaddeus Young produces a strong line in Pacers' Sunday win January 22nd, 2018
- Kevin Love (illness) misses Cavaliers’ Sunday practice January 21st, 2018
- Cavs' Tristan Thompson started the third quarter for Kevin Love (illness) on Saturday January 20th, 2018
- Cavs' Kevin Love (illness) questionable to return on Saturday January 20th, 2018
- Cavaliers' LeBron James struggles with his shot against Orlando Thursday January 19th, 2018
- Kevin Love double-doubles as Cavaliers hold off Magic January 19th, 2018
- Jeff Green comes close to a double-double as Cavaliers beat Magic January 19th, 2018