Marcus Smart sent to Memphis in three-team trade
The Memphis Grizzlies are acquiring point guard Marcus Smart from the Boston Celtics in a three-team trade including the Washington Wizards.
The Grizzlies are sending Tyus Jones to the Wizards in the deal, so Smart is set up to operate as the starting point guard to start the season while Ja Morant serves his 25-game suspension. Smart should continue to be a key factor for the Grizzlies after Morant returns, whether he starts or comes off the bench. Derrick White and Malcolm Brogdon stand to benefit from Smart's departure in Boston. Payton Pritchard could also potentially play a larger role in the rotation.
Smart had a 17.8% usage rate last season and averaged 28.4 FanDuel points in 32.1 minutes per game, with 11.5 points, 3.1 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.5 steals, 0.4 blocks, and 1.9 3-pointers per contest.
- Celtics' Jaylen Brown ejected on Friday December 8th, 2023
- Clippers' Daniel Theis (illness) out on Friday December 8th, 2023
- Utah's Walker Kessler starting on Friday, Omer Yurtseven coming off the bench December 8th, 2023
- Ochai Agbaji playing with Utah's second unit on Friday night December 8th, 2023
- Jazz starting Jordan Clarkson (thigh) in Friday's lineup, Ochai Agbaji to bench December 8th, 2023
- Timberwolves' Anthony Edwards (hip) will not return on Friday December 8th, 2023
- Jaylen Nowell playing with Memphis second unit on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Grizzlies starting Derrick Rose (ankle) on Wednesday, Jaylen Nowell to bench December 6th, 2023
- Derrick Rose (ankle) not listed on Grizzlies' Wednesday injury report December 5th, 2023
- Ziaire Williams (illness) not listed on Memphis' Wednesday injury report December 5th, 2023
- Grizzlies starting Jaylen Nowell for inactive Derrick Rose (ankle) on Saturday December 2nd, 2023
- Ziaire Williams (illness) inactive for Memphis on Saturday December 2nd, 2023