Padres decline option on Cory Luebke
The San Diego Padres declined pitcher Cory Luebke's $7.5 million club option for 2016.
Considering Luebke hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors since 2012, this was an expected move. He underwent forearm surgery in August, in addition to recovering from multiple Tommy John surgeries. Luebke will receive a $1.75 million buyout and become a free agent.
Luebke has pitched just 188 1/3 innings in the majors for his career, but he has some solid numbers. His xFIP is 3.21, and his strikeouts per nine innings is 9.32, both of which would have been top-15 totals among qualified starters this season. He should be offered at least some invitations to Spring Training in 2016.
- Update: Angels officially acquire Ian Kinsler December 13th, 2017
- Angels to acquire four-time All-Star Ian Kinsler from Tigers December 13th, 2017
- Padres acquire Chase Headley and Bryan Mitchell in trade with Yankees December 12th, 2017
- Shohei Ohtani signs with the Los Angeles Angels December 8th, 2017
- Mariners acquire Dee Gordon from Marlins for prospects December 7th, 2017
- White Sox sign Welington Castillo to two-year deal December 1st, 2017
- Marlins 'intend to hold onto' Christian Yelich December 13th, 2017
- Cardinals acquiring Marlins' Marcell Ozuna December 13th, 2017
- Marlins will receive Starlin Castro, prospects in Giancarlo Stanton deal December 9th, 2017
- Deal reportedly in place to send Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton to Yankees December 9th, 2017
- Giants expect decision from Giancarlo Stanton by week's end December 7th, 2017
- Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton wins NL MVP November 16th, 2017