Padres decline option on Cory Luebke
The San Diego Padres declined pitcher Cory Luebke's $7.5 million club option for 2016.
Considering Luebke hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors since 2012, this was an expected move. He underwent forearm surgery in August, in addition to recovering from multiple Tommy John surgeries. Luebke will receive a $1.75 million buyout and become a free agent.
Luebke has pitched just 188 1/3 innings in the majors for his career, but he has some solid numbers. His xFIP is 3.21, and his strikeouts per nine innings is 9.32, both of which would have been top-15 totals among qualified starters this season. He should be offered at least some invitations to Spring Training in 2016.
- Jordan Zimmermann named Tigers' Opening Day starter March 17th, 2018
- Bannister: Rangers' Joey Gallo batting second 'a real possibility' March 17th, 2018
- White Sox tag veteran James Shields as Opening Day starter March 17th, 2018
- Javier Baez (hamstring) returning to the field Sunday for Cubs March 17th, 2018
- Mets' Yoenis Cespedes (wrist) will return to action on Monday March 17th, 2018
- Mariners' Erasmo Ramirez (shoudler) not expected to be ready for start of regular season March 17th, 2018
- Marlins' Martin Prado (knee) will not be ready by Opening Day March 14th, 2018
- J.T. Realmuto (knee) scratched from Marlins' lineup on Friday March 9th, 2018
- Marlins sign Cameron Maybin to one-year deal February 21st, 2018
- Marlins trade Christian Yelich to Brewers in 5-player deal January 25th, 2018
- Christian Yelich's relationship with Marlins 'irrevocably broken' January 16th, 2018
- Marlins 'intend to hold onto' Christian Yelich December 13th, 2017