Cardinals still lacking closure on closer situation
St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny suggested Wednesday that the club will break camp without naming a closer.
"There is no resolution yet, for any of them," Matheny said while discussing the ninth-inning role. "That's everybody. I don't think we have to have that decided right now." Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak believes the club has "three or four arms who can compete" for the job. Luke Gregerson entered camp as the frontrunner but has been bothered by an oblique injury, which has allowed for Dominic Leone, Tyler Lyons, and Bud Norris to potentially enter the picture. Gregerson and Leone will probably get the first couple of save chances but it sounds like the Cardinals intend on using a platoon to open the year.
numberFire's models still believe Gregerson will win the gig, and we project him to twirl a 3.22 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 25.8 strikeout percentage while earning 25 saves across 64 1/3 innings this season.
- David Fletcher handling second base for Los Angeles on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Kurt Suzuki behind the plate for Angels on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Max Stassi sent to Angels' bench on Thursday night September 23rd, 2021
- Danny Jansen catching for Toronto on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Jason Castro not in Astros' Thursday lineup September 23rd, 2021
- Yordan Alvarez sitting for Houston on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Andrew Knizner riding pine for St. Louis Monday September 20th, 2021
- Yadier Molina sitting for Cardinals Sunday September 19th, 2021
- Andrew Knizner starting for Cardinals Sunday September 19th, 2021
- Yadier Molina catching for Cardinals versus Mets September 13th, 2021
- Edmundo Sosa (wrist) starting Monday for St. Louis September 13th, 2021
- Paul DeJong on Cardinals' bench Monday September 13th, 2021