Cubs' John Lackey likely to pitch out of bullpen in NLDS
Chicago Cubs pitcher John Lackey will likely pitch out of the bullpen during the team's NLDS against the Washington Nationals.
As the team's fifth-best starter, Lackey would only start if Jake Arrieta (hamstring) is unable to go for Game 4. Kyle Hendricks, Jon Lester and Jose Quintana are set to start the first three games of the series, so Lackey might be asked to pitch in long relief if one of the starters were to blow up early.
In just 2 career relief appearances, Lackey has allowed 1 earned run with 2 strikeouts over 2 innings of work. As a starter, he's accounted for a 5.30 FIP and 76.3% left on-base percentage in 170 2/3 innings this year.
- Cavan Biggio operating first base for Blue Jays on Thursday night May 26th, 2022
- Tyler Wade sitting for Angels on Thursday May 26th, 2022
- Angels' Juan Lagares batting seventh on Thursday May 26th, 2022
- Angels' Matt Duffy batting fifth on Thursday May 26th, 2022
- Max Stassi catching for Angels on Thursday May 26th, 2022
- Alejandro Kirk heads to Toronto's bench on Thursday May 26th, 2022
- Cubs' P.J. Higgins sitting Thursday afternoon May 26th, 2022
- Rafael Ortega resting Thursday for Cubs May 26th, 2022
- Andrelton Simmons sitting for Cubs Thursday afternoon May 26th, 2022
- Willson Contreras (hamstring) back Thursday for Cubs May 26th, 2022
- Cubs' Yan Gomes (oblique) scratched on Tuesday, Alfonso Rivas to start May 24th, 2022
- Cubs' Alfonso Rivas sitting on Tuesday May 24th, 2022