Cardinals' Trevor Rosenthal to undergo Tommy John surgery
St. Louis Cardinals reliever Trevor Rosenthal will undergo Tommy John surgery next week.
Rosenthal injured his right elbow on August 16. The 27-year-old right-hander will be on the shelf until at least next September. Seung Hwan Oh is the likely favorite for ninth-inning work in St. Louis moving forward, but he was replaced by Tyler Lyons in the eighth inning on Wednesday after allowing a single and a triple. John Brebbia could also be an option for the Cardinals.
Rosenthal turned in a 3.40 ERA (2.53 xFIP) and 1.20 WHIP over 50 appearances and 47 2/3 innings in 2017 while posting a career-best 37.6 percent strikeout rate. He was 11-for-13 on save opportunities.
- Kurt Suzuki catching for Angels on Friday September 17th, 2021
- Angels' Juan Lagares batting ninth on Friday September 17th, 2021
- Angels' Phil Gosselin batting fourth on Friday September 17th, 2021
- Dodgers' Gavin Lux scratched on Friday, Matt Beaty to start against Reds September 17th, 2021
- Yan Gomes handling catching duties for Athletics on Friday September 17th, 2021
- Oakland's Matt Chapman hitting sixth on Friday night September 17th, 2021
- Padres' Tommy Pham batting fifth on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- Wil Myers sitting for Padres on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- Jurickson Profar starting for Padres Tuesday September 14th, 2021
- Victor Caratini not in San Diego's Tuesday lineup September 14th, 2021
- Tommy Pham sitting on Tuesday for San Diego September 14th, 2021
- Austin Nola in San Diego's Tuesday lineup September 14th, 2021