Kevin Kiermaier nearing 6-year, $50 million-plus extension with Rays
Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Kevin Kiermaier is close to an extension for at least six years and more than $50 million, reports the Tampa Bay Times Marc Topkin.
Kiermaier is currently eligible for free agency after the 2020 season, but the Rays seem committed to keeping him around for a bit longer. He's made a name for himself as one of the best defensive center fielders in the game and also led Tampa Bay with 21 steals last season, but Kiermaier leaves a bit to be desired at the plate, evidenced by a .258/.313/.425 slash for his career.
numberFire's projections say Kiermaier will hit .258 with a .725 OPS across 514 plate appearances in 2017 while adding 13 home runs, 53 RBI's and 19 stolen bases.
- Rangers agree to a $49.5M extension with Rougned Odor March 25th, 2017
- Indians and Jose Ramirez agree to $26M extension March 25th, 2017
- Rockies' Jon Gray departs outing with foot soreness March 24th, 2017
- Tigers' J.D. Martinez diagnosed with Lisfranc sprain in right foot March 24th, 2017
- Marlins calling upon Edinson Volquez for opener March 24th, 2017
- Will Smith opts for Tommy John surgery on elbow March 24th, 2017
- Derek Norris commits to Rays on one-year deal March 24th, 2017
- Rays continue to have interest in Derek Norris March 24th, 2017
- Chris Archer to start Opening Day for Tampa Bay March 23rd, 2017
- Rays giving Brad Boxberger (lat) a week off March 23rd, 2017
- Kevin Kiermaier nearing 6-year, $50 million-plus extension with Rays March 15th, 2017
- Nathan Eovaldi (elbow) finalizes contract with Tampa Bay February 14th, 2017