Cardinals' Alex Reyes undergoes Tommy John surgery on Thursday
St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Alex Reyes underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Thursday.
Reyes will miss the entire 2017 season, and likely won't be able to return in time for the beginning of the 2018 season either. The pitchers vying for his place in the rotation this season include Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver and Trevor Rosenthal.
Reyes excelled during his first stint in the majors, as he posted a 1.57 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 27.5 strikeout percentage across 46 innings (five starts) in 2016.
- Houston's Jose Altuve named the 2017 American League MVP November 16th, 2017
- Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton wins NL MVP November 16th, 2017
- Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers named National League Rookie of the Year November 13th, 2017
- Yankees' Aaron Judge unanimous winner of American League Rookie of the Year November 13th, 2017
- George Springer, Astros defeat Dodgers in Game 7 for first World Series title November 2nd, 2017
- Astros' Yulieski Gurriel suspended five games in 2018 for gesture October 28th, 2017
- Cardinals' Adam Wainwright has surgery on right elbow October 4th, 2017
- Tommy Pham absent from Cardinals' lineup versus Milwaukee October 1st, 2017
- Jose Martinez on Cardinals' bench for Sunday's regular-season finale October 1st, 2017
- Stephen Piscotty absent from Cardinals' lineup against Brewers October 1st, 2017
- Paul DeJong not starting for Cardinals on Sunday October 1st, 2017
- Harrison Bader is in the Cardinals' lineup on Saturday September 30th, 2017