Cardinals' Alex Reyes undergoes Tommy John surgery on Thursday
St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Alex Reyes underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Thursday.
Reyes will miss the entire 2017 season, and likely won't be able to return in time for the beginning of the 2018 season either. The pitchers vying for his place in the rotation this season include Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver and Trevor Rosenthal.
Reyes excelled during his first stint in the majors, as he posted a 1.57 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 27.5 strikeout percentage across 46 innings (five starts) in 2016.
- Steven Matz (elbow) will miss first turn in Mets' rotation March 29th, 2017
- Pirates' Gregory Polanco (shoulder) scheduled for game action Friday March 29th, 2017
- Rangers' Adrian Beltre (calf) will be re-evaluated over weekend March 29th, 2017
- Corey Seager (oblique) on track for Dodgers' opener March 29th, 2017
- Cubs' Addison Russell (back) claims to be at full health March 29th, 2017
- Mets' Jeurys Familia will be suspended 15 games March 29th, 2017
- Kolten Wong would rather Cardinals trade him than platooning at second March 27th, 2017
- Cardinals penciling in Jhonny Peralta at third March 24th, 2017
- Carlos Martinez taking over the Cardinals' mound for Opening Day March 22nd, 2017
- Michael Wacha makes Cardinals' rotation March 19th, 2017
- Cardinals' Matt Carpenter (back) says he's fully recovered March 16th, 2017
- Matt Carpenter (back) out at least a week for St. Louis March 7th, 2017