Cardinals' Alex Reyes undergoes Tommy John surgery on Thursday
St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Alex Reyes underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Thursday.
Reyes will miss the entire 2017 season, and likely won't be able to return in time for the beginning of the 2018 season either. The pitchers vying for his place in the rotation this season include Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver and Trevor Rosenthal.
Reyes excelled during his first stint in the majors, as he posted a 1.57 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 27.5 strikeout percentage across 46 innings (five starts) in 2016.
- Red Sox offer J.D. Martinez five-year, $100 million deal January 17th, 2018
- Christian Yelich's relationship with Marlins 'irrevocably broken' January 16th, 2018
- Giants' Hunter Pence will move to left field in 2018 January 16th, 2018
- Andrew McCutchen to play right field following trade to Giants January 16th, 2018
- Josh Harrison prefers trade if Pirates aren't looking to compete January 16th, 2018
- Report: Giants acquire Andrew McCutchen from Pirates January 15th, 2018
- Stephen Piscotty traded from Cardinals to Athletics in exchange for minor leaguers December 14th, 2017
- Cardinals acquiring Marlins' Marcell Ozuna December 13th, 2017
- Cardinals' Adam Wainwright has surgery on right elbow October 4th, 2017
- Tommy Pham absent from Cardinals' lineup versus Milwaukee October 1st, 2017
- Jose Martinez on Cardinals' bench for Sunday's regular-season finale October 1st, 2017
- Stephen Piscotty absent from Cardinals' lineup against Brewers October 1st, 2017