Cardinals' Alex Reyes undergoes Tommy John surgery on Thursday
St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Alex Reyes underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Thursday.
Reyes will miss the entire 2017 season, and likely won't be able to return in time for the beginning of the 2018 season either. The pitchers vying for his place in the rotation this season include Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver and Trevor Rosenthal.
Reyes excelled during his first stint in the majors, as he posted a 1.57 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 27.5 strikeout percentage across 46 innings (five starts) in 2016.
- Marlins could bat Lewis Brinson out of the leadoff spot March 20th, 2018
- Blue Jays name J.A. Happ the Opening Day starter March 20th, 2018
- Dodgers' Justin Turner diagnosed with a broken wrist March 20th, 2018
- Angels' Andrew Heaney (elbow) will miss next start March 19th, 2018
- Yoenis Cespedes (wrist) feels good in return to Mets on Monday March 19th, 2018
- Jacoby Ellsbury (oblique) won't be ready for Yankees on Opening Day March 19th, 2018
- Cardinals' Luke Gregerson (oblique) will face live hitters on Friday March 16th, 2018
- Cardinals' Matt Carpenter says back felt 'perfect' on Sunday March 11th, 2018
- Cardinals' Matt Carpenter (back) is playing in an intrasquad game Sunday March 11th, 2018
- Cardinals not in any rush to name closer March 9th, 2018
- Cardinals' Luke Gregerson dealing with 'minor' oblique strain March 8th, 2018
- Cardinals concerned about Matt Carpenter's (back) availability for Opening Day March 6th, 2018