Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith
The Tampa Bay Rays traded starting pitcher Drew Smyly to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Mallex Smith, infielder Carlos Vargas, and pitcher Ryan Yarbrough.
Smith's stay in Seattle was ultimately a brief one, as the Mariners only acquired him to use as a chip to secure Smyly. The 27-year-old left-hander, Smyly, has had major issues with the home run ball over the past two seasons, but that could mean Seattle will be good for him. Smith improves the Tampa Bay defense further and provides a real threat on the basepaths, and Vargas and Yarbrough will add to the Rays' farm system.
Smyly is coming off a disappointing 4.88 ERA (4.51 xFIP), as well as as a diminished 22.6 percent strikeout rate. That said, focusing on control lowered his 6.6 percent walk rate as well. Smith had a fairly ugly .238/.316/.365 slash line and 22.3 percent strikeout rate in 215 plate appearances last year, but has been a high-OBP player throughout his minor league career. He'll adjust to the majors soon.
- Yankees "making progress toward" trade for Athletics' Sonny Gray, Yonder Alonso July 25th, 2017
- White Sox receive outfielder Ryan Cordell in trade with Brewers July 25th, 2017
- Cardinals' Adam Wainwright (back) lands on the disabled list July 25th, 2017
- Brewers acquire Anthony Swarzak from White Sox July 25th, 2017
- Twins' Jason Castro dropped to eighth in Tuesday's lineup July 25th, 2017
- Twins' Robbie Grossman sitting on Tuesday July 25th, 2017
- Mike Zunino starting at catcher for the Mariners on Monday July 24th, 2017
- Carlos Ruiz starting at catcher Sunday for Seattle July 23rd, 2017
- Jarrod Dyson not in Mariners' Sunday lineup July 23rd, 2017
- Guillermo Heredia starting in centerfield Sunday for Mariners July 23rd, 2017
- Ben Gamel hitting down in the seventh spot Sunday in Seattle July 23rd, 2017
- Mitch Haniger moves up to sixth in Mariners' Sunday lineup July 23rd, 2017