Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith
The Tampa Bay Rays traded starting pitcher Drew Smyly to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Mallex Smith, infielder Carlos Vargas, and pitcher Ryan Yarbrough.
Smith's stay in Seattle was ultimately a brief one, as the Mariners only acquired him to use as a chip to secure Smyly. The 27-year-old left-hander, Smyly, has had major issues with the home run ball over the past two seasons, but that could mean Seattle will be good for him. Smith improves the Tampa Bay defense further and provides a real threat on the basepaths, and Vargas and Yarbrough will add to the Rays' farm system.
Smyly is coming off a disappointing 4.88 ERA (4.51 xFIP), as well as as a diminished 22.6 percent strikeout rate. That said, focusing on control lowered his 6.6 percent walk rate as well. Smith had a fairly ugly .238/.316/.365 slash line and 22.3 percent strikeout rate in 215 plate appearances last year, but has been a high-OBP player throughout his minor league career. He'll adjust to the majors soon.
- Rangers' Adrian Beltre (calf) to do some jogging on Friday February 24th, 2017
- Marlins' Marcell Ozuna dealing with shoulder tightness February 24th, 2017
- Dodgers inquired about Tigers' Justin Verlander this offseason February 24th, 2017
- Nationals' Max Scherzer (finger) still unable to throw fastballs February 24th, 2017
- Max Scherzer (finger) to throw off mound Saturday for Nationals February 23rd, 2017
- Cubs confirm Kyle Schwarber is frontrunner for leadoff spot February 23rd, 2017
- Nathan Eovaldi (elbow) finalizes contract with Tampa Bay February 14th, 2017
- Rays' Wilson Ramos (knee) won't be available until July February 14th, 2017
- Rays inquiring with Rangers about Jurickson Profar January 30th, 2017
- Colby Rasmus signs with Rays on prove-it deal January 30th, 2017
- Astros, Rays, and Brewers in mix for free agent Matt Wieters January 29th, 2017
- Brad Miller likely playing second base for Rays in 2017 January 29th, 2017