Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith
The Tampa Bay Rays traded starting pitcher Drew Smyly to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Mallex Smith, infielder Carlos Vargas, and pitcher Ryan Yarbrough.
Smith's stay in Seattle was ultimately a brief one, as the Mariners only acquired him to use as a chip to secure Smyly. The 27-year-old left-hander, Smyly, has had major issues with the home run ball over the past two seasons, but that could mean Seattle will be good for him. Smith improves the Tampa Bay defense further and provides a real threat on the basepaths, and Vargas and Yarbrough will add to the Rays' farm system.
Smyly is coming off a disappointing 4.88 ERA (4.51 xFIP), as well as as a diminished 22.6 percent strikeout rate. That said, focusing on control lowered his 6.6 percent walk rate as well. Smith had a fairly ugly .238/.316/.365 slash line and 22.3 percent strikeout rate in 215 plate appearances last year, but has been a high-OBP player throughout his minor league career. He'll adjust to the majors soon.
- Martin Maldonado is starting at catcher for the Angels September 24th, 2017
- George Springer leading off for Houston Sunday night September 24th, 2017
- Jose Altuve is back in the lineup for the Astros September 24th, 2017
- Astros' Brian McCann is batting ninth on Sunday September 24th, 2017
- Josh Reddick is in the Astros' Sunday lineup September 24th, 2017
- Marwin Gonzalez is on the bench for Houston September 24th, 2017
- Jean Segura is absent from the Mariners' lineup on Sunday September 24th, 2017
- Ben Gamel is hitting leadoff for the Mariners on Sunday September 24th, 2017
- Taylor Motter is starting for the Mariners on Sunday afternoon September 24th, 2017
- Mike Zunino is catching for the Mariners on Saturday September 23rd, 2017
- Carlos Ruiz is catching on Friday for the Mariners September 22nd, 2017
- Danny Valencia is out of the Mariners' lineup on Friday September 22nd, 2017