Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith
The Tampa Bay Rays traded starting pitcher Drew Smyly to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Mallex Smith, infielder Carlos Vargas, and pitcher Ryan Yarbrough.
Smith's stay in Seattle was ultimately a brief one, as the Mariners only acquired him to use as a chip to secure Smyly. The 27-year-old left-hander, Smyly, has had major issues with the home run ball over the past two seasons, but that could mean Seattle will be good for him. Smith improves the Tampa Bay defense further and provides a real threat on the basepaths, and Vargas and Yarbrough will add to the Rays' farm system.
Smyly is coming off a disappointing 4.88 ERA (4.51 xFIP), as well as as a diminished 22.6 percent strikeout rate. That said, focusing on control lowered his 6.6 percent walk rate as well. Smith had a fairly ugly .238/.316/.365 slash line and 22.3 percent strikeout rate in 215 plate appearances last year, but has been a high-OBP player throughout his minor league career. He'll adjust to the majors soon.
- Mariners traded Luiz Gohara to Braves for Mallex Smith January 11th, 2017
- Cubs considering batting Kyle Schwarber leadoff in 2017 January 11th, 2017
- Royals swap Jarrod Dyson for Seattle's Nate Karns January 6th, 2017
- Indians finalize contract with Edwin Encarnacion January 6th, 2017
- Mariners trade Seth Smith to Orioles in exchange for Yovani Gallardo January 6th, 2017
- Cardinals are very much in on Twins' Brian Dozier December 26th, 2016
- Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith January 11th, 2017
- Tampa Bay adds Wilson Ramos (knee) on two-year agreement December 12th, 2016
- Atlanta also keen on Athletics' Sonny Gray, Rays' Chris Archer November 15th, 2016
- Kevin Kiermaier (hand) remains out of commission for Rays September 27th, 2016
- Blake Snell tosses five scoreless in Rays' win over Yanks September 23rd, 2016
- Brad Miller's two home runs not enough as Rays fall to Yankees September 22nd, 2016