Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith
The Tampa Bay Rays traded starting pitcher Drew Smyly to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Mallex Smith, infielder Carlos Vargas, and pitcher Ryan Yarbrough.
Smith's stay in Seattle was ultimately a brief one, as the Mariners only acquired him to use as a chip to secure Smyly. The 27-year-old left-hander, Smyly, has had major issues with the home run ball over the past two seasons, but that could mean Seattle will be good for him. Smith improves the Tampa Bay defense further and provides a real threat on the basepaths, and Vargas and Yarbrough will add to the Rays' farm system.
Smyly is coming off a disappointing 4.88 ERA (4.51 xFIP), as well as as a diminished 22.6 percent strikeout rate. That said, focusing on control lowered his 6.6 percent walk rate as well. Smith had a fairly ugly .238/.316/.365 slash line and 22.3 percent strikeout rate in 215 plate appearances last year, but has been a high-OBP player throughout his minor league career. He'll adjust to the majors soon.
- Trevor Rosenthal (lat) opening season on Cardinals' disabled list March 30th, 2017
- Padres will use Trevor Cahill for third game March 30th, 2017
- Jon Gray taking mound for Rockies on Opening Day March 30th, 2017
- Nationals give closing job to Blake Treinen March 30th, 2017
- Twins send Byung-Ho Park to the minors March 30th, 2017
- Jeanmar Gomez to open year as Phillies' closer March 30th, 2017
- Mariners' Drew Smyly won't pitch Friday due to arm issue March 29th, 2017
- Jarrod Dyson to bat leadoff for the Mariners January 29th, 2017
- Mariners traded Luiz Gohara to Braves for Mallex Smith January 11th, 2017
- Rays swap Drew Smyly to Mariners for prospect haul including Mallex Smith January 11th, 2017
- Royals swap Jarrod Dyson for Seattle's Nate Karns January 6th, 2017
- Mariners trade Seth Smith to Orioles in exchange for Yovani Gallardo January 6th, 2017