Red Sox still waiting on decision from Jonathan Papelbon
Boston Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski reiterated Wednesday morning that the team is still waiting on a decision from free agent reliever Jonathan Papelbon.
Papelbon, who was released by the Washington Nationals, was contacted by the Red Sox last week, but there hasn't been any movement towards agreeing on a contract. Dombrowski explained the situation to MLB Network Radio saying, "We did express some interest, but he has to decide what he wants to do. We are open, we did call, he has to decide." Papelbon posted a 4.37 ERA and a 20.4 strikeout percentage -- both career worsts -- across 35 innings of relief this season with the Nationals.
Papelbon's 4.79 xFIP was also a career worst mark and his 9.2 walk percentage was almost three points higher than his career average (6.3 percent). Boston's bullpen has been a middle-of-the-pack unit according to xFIP, as their 4.13 xFIP ranks 15th this season.
- Carlos Beltran stepping down as manager of Mets January 16th, 2020
- Robinson Chirinos starting for Houston in Game 6 October 29th, 2019
- Martin Maldonado sitting for Houston in Game 6 October 29th, 2019
- Josh Reddick in Astros' Game 6 lineup October 29th, 2019
- Martin Maldonado catching for Houston in World Series Game 5 on Sunday October 27th, 2019
- Yordan Alvarez starting in left field for Houston in Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday October 27th, 2019
- Nationals defeat Astros in Game 7, Stephen Strasburg named World Series MVP October 31st, 2019
- Kurt Suzuki (hip) scratched from Nationals' Game 7 lineup, Yan Gomes now catching Max Scherzer October 30th, 2019
- Asdrubal Cabrera starting for Nationals in Game 6 October 29th, 2019
- Washington's Max Scherzer (neck) scratched, Joe Ross to start in Game 5 October 27th, 2019
- Nationals' Howie Kendrick returns to the lineup for Game 4 of the World Series on Saturday October 26th, 2019
- Nationals' Yan Gomes catching World Series Game 4 on Saturday October 26th, 2019