Blue Jays lose Kevin Pillar to sprained thumb
The Toronto Blue Jays placed outfielder Kevin Pillar on the 15-day disabled list with a left thumb sprain.
The injury happened this past weekend against the Kansas City Royals, and it's not yet known how long Pillar will be sidelined. Melvin Upton will replace him in center field against the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday, and should see an increase in playing time with Pillar sidelined. The Blue Jays called up outfielder Darrell Ceciliani from Triple-A Buffalo for extra outfield depth. He owns a .347 wOBA in 284 plate appearances in Triple-A this season.
Pillar is slashing .261/.292/.385 with seven home runs, 10 stolen bases and a .292 wOBA in 443 plate appearances this season. Known more for his defense, Pillar's 32.9 UZR/150 this season is the highest mark among all qualified fielders.
- Philadelphia's Andrew McCutchen (knee) ready for 2020 season April 4th, 2020
- Cubs-Cardinals London Series officially canceled April 1st, 2020
- Astros' Justin Verlander (groin) on schedule, doing well March 31st, 2020
- Mets' Noah Syndergaard reportedly requires Tommy John for elbow injury March 24th, 2020
- Sam Tuivailala released by Mariners March 20th, 2020
- Mets-Marlins in Puerto Rico canceled by COVID-19 March 19th, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale undergoes Tommy John March 30th, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale has left flexor strain March 5th, 2020
- Red Sox' Xander Bogaerts (ankle) makes spring debut on Wednesday March 4th, 2020
- Boston to get another opinion on Chris Sale (elbow) March 4th, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale (sore elbow) undergoing MRI March 3rd, 2020
- Chris Sale (elbow, illness) starting season on Red Sox IL February 27th, 2020