Carter Capps to undergo Tommy John surgery for Marlins
Miami Marlins reliever Carter Capps will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday.
Capps underwent an MRI last Tuesday after feeling discomfort in his right elbow. He subsequently visited Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola. No good news came of that meeting, clearly. The 25-year-old right-hander will miss the 2016 campaign. While the team's hoping he'll be ready for Opening Day, 2017, that's a long ways off, and it should be considered a soft projection at this point. The elbow injury is a tough blow for player and team as Capps was a potential ninth-inning arm. In 31 innings last season, he held a stellar 1.16 ERA and fanned 58. With him out of the picture, A.J. Ramos should be considered locked in as closer.
Capps was as dominant as it gets last season, albeit in limited action. His strikeout percentage was a whopping 49.2, and his 1.17 xFIP showed his 1.16 ERA was no fluke. Ramos is no slouch himself, and we project him to post a 2.26 ERA in 2016 with a 28.8 strikeout percentage. The closer job appears to be his to lose.
- Kent Bazemore starting for Warriors Saturday in place of injured Kelly Oubre April 10th, 2021
- Nationals starting Hernan Perez in left field on Saturday April 10th, 2021
- Washington's Jordy Mercer (COVID-19 injured list) hitting sixth on Saturday April 10th, 2021
- Yan Gomes catching for Nationals on Saturday night April 10th, 2021
- Andrew Stevenson out of Washington's Saturday lineup against Dodgers April 10th, 2021
- Boston's J.D. Martinez placed on COVID-19 injured list April 10th, 2021
- San Diego's Luis Campusano behind the plate on Saturday April 10th, 2021
- Trent Grisham (hamstring) leading off for Padres on Friday April 9th, 2021
- Padres starting Victor Caratini behind the plate on Friday April 9th, 2021
- Luis Campusano out of San Diego's Friday lineup against Rangers April 9th, 2021
- San Diego's Tommy Pham in left field on Friday April 9th, 2021
- Tommy Pham sitting for Padres in Wednesday finale April 7th, 2021