Astros ink Neal Cotts to minors deal
The Houston Astros signed reliever Neal Cotts to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Cotts is a pretty good get on a minor league deal. He'll turn 36 next month, but the southpaw holds a 3.03 ERA with exactly a strikeout per inning over the last three seasons, and last year he limited left-handed batters to a .186/.243/.330 line. The Astros could use another lefty to pair with Tony Sipp and with a solid camp, Cotts has a chance to be that guy.
Cotts threw 63 1/3 innings last season with the Milwaukee Brewers and Minnesota Twins and posted a concerning 4.31 xFIP -- 20th worst among relievers. He needs to do a better job of keeping the ball in the park in 2016. His 15.8 percent home-run-to-fly-ball ratio in 2015 was 12th highest among relievers. Becoming a lefty specialist would help as eight of the 12 home runs he allowed last season were to righties.
- Rays' Austin Meadows batting third in Game 6 on Tuesday October 27th, 2020
- Ji-Man Choi batting leadoff for Rays in Game 6 on Tuesday October 27th, 2020
- Dodgers' A.J. Pollock batting eighth in Game 6 on Tuesday October 27th, 2020
- Dodgers' Joc Pederson batting eighth in Game 5 on Sunday October 25th, 2020
- Austin Barnes catching for Dodgers in Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday October 25th, 2020
- Joey Wendle batting sixth for Rays in Game 5 on Sunday October 25th, 2020
- Josh Reddick in Astros' Game 7 lineup Saturday October 17th, 2020
- Aledmys Diaz not in Houston's Saturday lineup for Game 7 October 17th, 2020
- Houston's Aledmys Diaz starting in Friday's Game 6 lineup against Rays October 16th, 2020
- Martin Maldonado catching as Astros hope to avoid elimination October 14th, 2020
- Josh Reddick at DH for Astros versus Rays in Game 4 October 14th, 2020
- Dustin Garneau behind Astros' plate Tuesday October 13th, 2020