Matt Joyce, Garrett Cooper likely Marlins' DH candidates
Miami Marlins outfielder Matt Joyce and first baseman Garrett Cooper are candidates to be the club's primary designated hitter this season, per Joe Frisaro of MLB.com.
The National League is adopting a DH for MLB's 60-game restart, so teams need to react accordingly. Joyce, who turns 36 in August, was signed by the Marlins to a one-year deal in February. He surprisingly posted career-highs in batting average (.295) and on-base percentage (.408) over 238 plate appearances with the Braves last season. Joyce also turned in a .450 slugging percentage, above his .432 career average. Meanwhile, Cooper recorded a .281/.344/.446 slash line with 15 homers over 421 plate appearances for the Marlins last year in his first extended taste of the majors.
Joyce accounted for all of his home runs (7) and 22-of-23 RBI against right-handers last season. He slashed .298/.410/.461 against RHP, compared to .273/.385/.364 versus left-handers. Cooper had wider splits, as he hit .305/.375/.474 versus RHP and .220/.265/.376 versus LHP.
- Mets' Jeff McNeil (knee) exits Thursday's game with bone contusion August 13th, 2020
- Austin Barnes starting behind the plate for Dodgers on Thursday August 13th, 2020
- Corey Seager (back) starting in Dodgers' Thursday lineup against Padres August 13th, 2020
- Edward Olivares in center field for Padres on Thursday August 13th, 2020
- Padres' Trent Grisham sitting on Thursday August 13th, 2020
- Austin Hedges catching for San Diego on Thursday August 13th, 2020
- Marlins' Magneuris Sierra starting Wednesday August 12th, 2020
- Eddy Alvarez starting for Marlins on Wednesday August 12th, 2020
- Matt Joyce making start for Marlins on Wednesday August 12th, 2020
- Logan Forsythe on first base for Marlins against Blue Jays August 11th, 2020
- Lewis Brinson in right field for Marlins on Tuesday August 11th, 2020
- Francisco Cervelli catching for Marlins on Tuesday August 11th, 2020