Astros sign Wandy Rodriguez to minors deal
The Houston Astros signed pitcher Wandy Rodriguez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Rodriguez began his professional baseball career with the Astros back in 1999, so this is a homecoming of sorts for the now-veteran left-hander. He had an ugly turn for the Texas Rangers last year, and his 2014 with the Pittsburgh Pirates was even uglier. Rodriguez probably won't crack the Astros' Opening Day roster, unless he somehow has a lights-out showing throughout Grapefruit League play.
Rodriguez posted an ugly 4.90 ERA in 86 1/3 innings last season. His 1.0 Wins Above Replacement put him outside the top 100 pitchers among hurlers at least 80 innings pitched in 2015.
- Braves' Mike Soroka (Achilles) tosses two innings on Sunday March 7th, 2021
- Cardinals' Miles Mikolas' (elbow) recovery slowed by "creaky shoulder" March 7th, 2021
- Toronto's Vladimir Guerrero Jr. "feels like he did in 2018" March 7th, 2021
- Boston's Xander Bogaerts (shoulder) expected to participate in batting practice Tuesday March 7th, 2021
- Maddon: Angeles' Max Stassi (hip) could make spring debut next week March 6th, 2021
- Phillies' J.T. Realmuto (thumb) expects to be ready by Opening Day March 6th, 2021
- Astros' Alex Bregman (hamstring) feeling 90% March 7th, 2021
- Josh Reddick in Astros' Game 7 lineup Saturday October 17th, 2020
- Aledmys Diaz not in Houston's Saturday lineup for Game 7 October 17th, 2020
- Houston's Aledmys Diaz starting in Friday's Game 6 lineup against Rays October 16th, 2020
- Martin Maldonado catching as Astros hope to avoid elimination October 14th, 2020
- Josh Reddick at DH for Astros versus Rays in Game 4 October 14th, 2020