Cubs' Craig Kimbrel placed on IL with knee inflammation
The Chicago Cubs placed reliever Craig Kimbrel on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to August 4, with right knee inflammation.
An MRI revealed the diagnosis after Kimbrel felt discomfort in his right knee Saturday during his last appearance. Barring any setbacks, the right-hander should be back within a couple of weeks. Joe Maddon intends to use a committee approach in the ninth, though Pedro Strop (neck) is expected to return soon.
Kimbrel owns a 5.68 ERA with 17 strikeouts in 14 appearances this season. He's converted 9-of-11 saves.
- Philadelphia's Andrew McCutchen (knee) ready for 2020 season April 4th, 2020
- Astros' Justin Verlander (groin) on schedule, doing well March 31st, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale undergoes Tommy John March 30th, 2020
- Mets' Noah Syndergaard reportedly requires Tommy John for elbow injury March 24th, 2020
- Sam Tuivailala released by Mariners March 20th, 2020
- Mets-Marlins in Puerto Rico canceled by COVID-19 March 19th, 2020
- Cubs-Cardinals London Series officially canceled April 1st, 2020
- Cubs' Tyler Chatwood the front runner for fifth spot in rotation March 8th, 2020
- Ian Happ clears fence again for Cubs March 4th, 2020
- Ross: Cubs 'committed' to Kris Bryant as leadoff hitter in 2020 February 20th, 2020
- Ben Zobrist starting for Cubs in final game of season September 29th, 2019
- Willson Contreras catching Sunday afternoon for Cubs September 29th, 2019