Carlos Martinez expected to take over as Cardinals' closer
St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Carlos Martinez "is expected to take over most of the closer duties" with Jordan Hicks (elbow) out, writes Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Hicks may miss the rest of the season due to a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, creating a potential opportunity for Martinez, as well as John Gant and Andrew Miller. He's 2-for-4 on save chances this season and also saved 5 games last year for the Cardinals while spinning a 1.47 ERA down the stretch after moving to the bullpen.
The 27-year-old converted starter owns a 3.00 ERA and 1.07 WHIP with 14 strikeouts and 5 walks over 15 innings (13 games) this season.
- Miguel Cabrera (back) on Tigers' sidelines for Tuesday matinee September 21st, 2021
- Willi Castro absent from Tigers' lineup versus White Sox September 21st, 2021
- Brian Goodwin on White Sox's bench Tuesday afternoon September 21st, 2021
- Tigers' Dustin Garneau grabbing seat Tuesday September 21st, 2021
- Gavin Sheets sitting for White Sox Tuesday afternoon September 21st, 2021
- Josh VanMeter sitting for Arizona Monday September 20th, 2021
- Andrew Knizner riding pine for St. Louis Monday September 20th, 2021
- Yadier Molina sitting for Cardinals Sunday September 19th, 2021
- Andrew Knizner starting for Cardinals Sunday September 19th, 2021
- Yadier Molina catching for Cardinals versus Mets September 13th, 2021
- Edmundo Sosa (wrist) starting Monday for St. Louis September 13th, 2021
- Paul DeJong on Cardinals' bench Monday September 13th, 2021