Cubs sign relief pitcher Craig Kimbrel, pending physical
The Chicago Cubs have signed free agent relief pitcher Craig Kimbrel to a contract, pending a physical, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
The Cubs got Pedro Strop back from the injured list on Tuesday, but with Brandon Morrow suffering multiple setbacks from offseason surgeries they were in the market for an experienced closer. No word on the contract details or when Kimbrel will be ready to join the big league roster.
Kimbrel posted a 2.74 ERA and 0.99 WHIP with 96 strikeouts and 42 saves over 62 1/3 innings pitched with the Boston Red Sox in 2018.
- Carlos Beltran stepping down as manager of Mets January 16th, 2020
- Nationals defeat Astros in Game 7, Stephen Strasburg named World Series MVP October 31st, 2019
- Kurt Suzuki (hip) scratched from Nationals' Game 7 lineup, Yan Gomes now catching Max Scherzer October 30th, 2019
- Robinson Chirinos starting for Houston in Game 6 October 29th, 2019
- Martin Maldonado sitting for Houston in Game 6 October 29th, 2019
- Josh Reddick in Astros' Game 6 lineup October 29th, 2019
- Ben Zobrist starting for Cubs in final game of season September 29th, 2019
- Willson Contreras catching Sunday afternoon for Cubs September 29th, 2019
- David Bote starting at third base for the Cubs on Saturday September 28th, 2019
- Addison Russell returns to the Cubs' lineup on Saturday September 28th, 2019
- Cubs' Jonathan Lucroy hitting in the fifth spot on Saturday September 28th, 2019
- Willson Contreras out of the Cubs' Saturday lineup September 28th, 2019