Cardinals acquire Paul Goldschmidt from the Diamondbacks
The Arizona Diamondbacks have traded first baseman Paul Goldschmidt to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for catcher Carson Kelly, pitcher Luke Weaver, infielder Andy Young, and a 2019 MLB draft pick.
The Cardinals have been lacking a power hitter in the middle of their lineup and got one in Goldschmidt. They paid a relatively low cost due to the slugger being under contract for just one more season. There is a chance they try to work out an extension before the season is over though. The six-time All-Star will likely hit cleanup and man first base for St. Louis in 2019.
Goldschmidt has averaged 31.5 homers, 102 RBI, and 105.3 runs scored while posting a .301 batting average and .946 OPS the last four seasons.
- Jake Fraley scratched from Mariners' Thursday lineup; Taylor Trammell back in June 17th, 2021
- Luis Rengifo starting for Los Angeles Thursday June 17th, 2021
- Kean Wong in Angels' Thursday lineup June 17th, 2021
- Jose Iglesias not in Angels' Thursday lineup June 17th, 2021
- Max Stassi sitting on Thursday for Los Angeles June 17th, 2021
- Kurt Suzuki starting for Los Angeles on Thursday June 17th, 2021
- Cardinals' Edmundo Sosa (hand) sitting on Thursday June 17th, 2021
- Tommy Edman (abdomen) leading off in Cardinals' Thursday lineup June 17th, 2021
- Nolan Arenado batting in cleanup spot for St. Louis on Thursday night June 17th, 2021
- Cardinals' Jose Rondon hitting eighth Wednesday June 16th, 2021
- Nolan Arenado resting Wednesday afternoon for Cardinals June 16th, 2021
- Tommy Edman (torso) scratched from Cardinals' Tuesday lineup; Lane Thomas enters June 15th, 2021