Blue Jays acquire Jesse Chavez from Athletics
The Toronto Blue Jays acquired pitcher Jesse Chavez from the Oakland Athletics for right-handed pitcher Liam Hendriks.
Chavez provides much needed depth to the Blue Jays' staff at a very affordable cost. The 32-year-old right-hander faded a bit in the second half, but he still finished 2015 with a respectable 3.89 xFIP, 1.35 WHIP and 136 strikeouts over a career-high 157 innings. Chavez posted a 3.67 xFIP in 2014. He can start or come out of the bullpen. Of his 62 appearances the past two years, 47 have been starts. Chavez is owed just $2.2 million this season and will be a free agent next winter.
Oakland loves young players under team control for the foreseeable future, and Hendriks fits that mold. The 26-year-old hurler is under team control through the 2019 season. He had a terrific season out of the Blue Jays' bullpen in 2015, compiling a 2.80 xFIP, 1.08 WHIP and 71 strikeouts to just 11 walks over 64 2/3 innings. He'll presumably work in a setup role in front of closer Sean Doolittle.
- Brewers: Corey Knebel (elbow) on track for Opening Day July 10th, 2020
- Starling Marte (undisclosed) missing from Diamondbacks July 10th, 2020
- Orioles' Dwight Smith Jr. (undisclosed) unavailable July 10th, 2020
- Anthony Santander (undisclosed) absent from Orioles July 10th, 2020
- Houston's Josh Reddick expected to start in right field July 9th, 2020
- Cubs' Anthony Rizzo (back) day-to-day after missing Thursday's scrimmage July 9th, 2020
- Rangers' Corey Kluber throws 80 pitches in Thursday's intrasquad game July 9th, 2020
- Ronald Guzman (undisclosed) joins Rangers July 8th, 2020
- Rangers' Joey Gallo (COVID-19) tests negative on Tuesday July 7th, 2020
- Rangers' Lance Lynn throws 83 pitches in Tuesday's intra-squad game July 7th, 2020
- Rangers' Joey Gallo receives positive test result July 6th, 2020
- Lance Lynn starting for Rangers on Opening Day June 25th, 2020