Blue Jays acquire Jesse Chavez from Athletics
The Toronto Blue Jays acquired pitcher Jesse Chavez from the Oakland Athletics for right-handed pitcher Liam Hendriks.
Chavez provides much needed depth to the Blue Jays' staff at a very affordable cost. The 32-year-old right-hander faded a bit in the second half, but he still finished 2015 with a respectable 3.89 xFIP, 1.35 WHIP and 136 strikeouts over a career-high 157 innings. Chavez posted a 3.67 xFIP in 2014. He can start or come out of the bullpen. Of his 62 appearances the past two years, 47 have been starts. Chavez is owed just $2.2 million this season and will be a free agent next winter.
Oakland loves young players under team control for the foreseeable future, and Hendriks fits that mold. The 26-year-old hurler is under team control through the 2019 season. He had a terrific season out of the Blue Jays' bullpen in 2015, compiling a 2.80 xFIP, 1.08 WHIP and 71 strikeouts to just 11 walks over 64 2/3 innings. He'll presumably work in a setup role in front of closer Sean Doolittle.
- Max Stassi batting cleanup for Angels Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Angels' Kurt Suzuki sitting Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Jake Marisnick starting for Padres Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Kris Bryant making Giants' debut Sunday afternoon August 1st, 2021
- Angels' Phil Gosselin sitting Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Wilmer Flores not in Giants' Sunday lineup August 1st, 2021
- Guillermo Heredia starting for Braves Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Braves' Stephen Vogt sitting Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Joc Pederson sitting for Braves Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Kevan Smith catching for Braves Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Atlanta's Jorge Soler hitting sixth on Saturday night July 31st, 2021
- Adam Duvall batting fifth for Braves on Friday July 30th, 2021